ICON 3D printed homes are one of the first companies that began pioneering the use of 3D printing to build homes in the USA. The company was founded in 2016 by Jason Ballard and Alex Schwarz, and it is headquartered in Austin, Texas. ICON has developed a proprietary 3D printing technology that uses a robotic arm to print concrete walls. The company’s 3D printers can print walls up to 10 feet tall and 30 feet long, and they can print homes in a matter of days.
Benefits of 3D Printed Homes
There are many benefits to 3D printed homes. 3D printing can be used to create homes that are:
- More affordable: 3D printing can reduce the cost of construction by up to 50%.
- More sustainable: 3D printing can use less material and produce less waste than traditional construction methods.
- More durable: 3D printed homes are stronger and more resistant to weather damage than traditional homes.
- More energy-efficient: 3D printed homes can be designed to be more energy-efficient than traditional homes.
ICON’s 3D Printed Homes
ICON has built a number of 3D printed homes to date. The company’s first 3D printed home was built in 2018 in Austin, Texas. The home was a 650-square-foot home that was built in just 24 hours. The company has since built a number of other 3D printed homes, including:
- The House Zero: The House Zero is a 2,000-square-foot home that was built in Austin, Texas in 2020. The home is designed to be net-zero energy, meaning that it produces as much energy as it consumes.
- The El Cosmico Sunday Homes: The El Cosmico Sunday Homes are a series of 3D printed homes that were built in Marfa, Texas in 2021. The homes are designed to be affordable and sustainable.
- The ICON Community in East Austin: ICON is currently building a community of 100 3D printed homes in East Austin, Texas. The community is expected to be completed in 2023.
The Future of 3D Printed Homes
ICON is a leader in the field of 3D printed homes. The company is working to make 3D printed homes more affordable, sustainable, and durable. ICON believes that 3D printed homes have the potential to revolutionize the construction industry and provide affordable housing to people all over the world.